Why Did We Write This Guide?
The Apps Market is growing faster than ever and with so much competition, it’s getting even harder to create a successful app. Recent research shows that over 90% of mobile phone apps are abandoned within a year. Only a select few will make it through to become indispensable to a number of users – and even fewer will become global sensations.
At Apadmi, we are dedicated to fostering innovation and growth within the app development community. That’s why we’ve teamed up with PR Agency One and digital marketers PushON to create a list of the best ways to promote, improve and market your mobile app.
» Skip this? Jump straight to chapter 1: Before Your App Is Launched.
“Unfortunately, the quality of an app isn’t necessarily a predictor of its success. Many great apps don’t make it simply because their marketing and ongoing development were not up to scratch. We probably all know of apps that we have found useful but that stubbornly failed to break through.” –Hannah
Who Is This Guide For?
Inexperienced app entrepreneurs don’t have the option of “getting it right next time”. App developers usually have technical rather than marketing backgrounds, and for startups and indie developers, the cost of employing professional marketers is often prohibitive in the early days of an app’s lifecycle.
Our guide will help you to make a better app and introduce you to the best marketing and PR tactics to get it the downloads and coverage you need to succeed.
About The Guide
The list takes you through every stage of the process and gives sage advice from industry insiders. Even if each piece improves your prospects by a tiny percentage, their cumulative effect could help push your app to a critical mass audience – and then who knows where it could end?
(Note: in our list we’ve used “app store” generically to describe the Apple App Store, Google Play, Windows Marketplace or BlackBerry World. App Store with capital initials specifically represents Apple’s resource here.)
Sections Of The Guide
- Chapter 1: Before Your App Is Launched
It goes without saying that you’re going to need to make a good product – but there’s so much more. We outline the steps you need to take before you even write that first line of code or start your first wireframe. Section includes;
- Chapter 2: App Store Optimisation
App Store Optimisation is a mix of marketing and research. We outline how to optimise your app to get the maximum amount of downloads, the factors in determining how visible your app is in app store searches… and tell you how to improve everything. Section includes;
- General Stuff – How to pick a category and other factors.
- Keyword Optimisation – The Title – what you need to remember.
- Keywords Tag (App Store Only) – an easy way to improve your visibility.
- The Description – more than just a sales pitch.
- Writing More Persuasive Copy – getting that pitch right.
- Your Icon – the steps you should take.
- Screenshots and videos – recommendations.
- App Store Reviews – and how to encourage them.
- Chapter 3: Improving Your App
App development never stops. We outline what you need to understand about how people use your app and the steps you will need to take to improve your app’s retention rate. Section includes;
- Chapter 4: Getting Reviews & Coverage For Your App
Getting publicity for your app in the right places can be a real challenge. We outline how to find those right places and more importantly – people – to get the exposure your app needs. Section includes;
- Building Your Personas – working out who your audience is.
- Approaching Journalists & Bloggers – what you need to remember.
- Review Sites and “Best of” Lists – we’ve got some good lists for you.
- Using Backlinks To Find Useful Sites – how you can use SEO tactics to get reviews.
- Google Alerts – the most effective way to stalk your competitors.
- Cross-promotion with others – helping someone else to help yourself.
- Using social media to find influencers – finding useful communities and people.
- Getting Featured – the dream of every app developer – we tell you how.
- PR Tricks – the wily tactics of the Public Relations industry
- Content – engaging people with resources and information.
- Content Idea Generation – because you can never have enough ideas.
- Chapter 5: Paid App Advertising and Exposure
From paid social media to adverts in other ads. We talk you through the options and give some general advice on ensuring your budget goes as far as possible. Section includes;
- Chapter 6: Conclusion and future guides
In the coming months, we plan to create a guide on how best to monetise your apps and an experts roundtable with advice from some of the most successful app entrepreneurs and marketers. Sign up for our newsletter to be notified! Section includes;
- Printable version + FREE Bonus Tips on how to make your users want to share your mobile app on Social Media.